Salt water conversion made me sick?

Former Member
Former Member
I was so excited to learn our pool was finally converting to salt water. While I was swimming, the pool dude dumped 3 huge bags of salt in each lane. That night I experienced sinusitis -- huge thick amounts of mucus (sorry, I know this is gross). That was a week ago. I'm still sick - just tons of gunk coming out everyday, I'm really fatigued, can't taste anything. I haven't had a voice in 3 days (some people are happy about that!:applaud: I haven't swam since Friday. Is this possible that the sudden onslaught of salt brought this on? I wear a silicone cap and nose clips. I'm trying to do this the natural way - ginger tea, and an antihistamine, but I miss the pool. This is a bummer
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The only draw back is that a salt water pool can't be used for competition according to the rule books. That's why many facilities don't have this set up which can be really optimal in fending off all the negative effects of chlorine. That's too bad. I wish the pool here was salt water. According to this website, water is not technically salt water until a threshold of 6000ppm. Perhaps the rule could be changed to allow up to 5000 ppm of sodium chloride for competition purposes.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The only draw back is that a salt water pool can't be used for competition according to the rule books. That's why many facilities don't have this set up which can be really optimal in fending off all the negative effects of chlorine. That's too bad. I wish the pool here was salt water. According to this website, water is not technically salt water until a threshold of 6000ppm. Perhaps the rule could be changed to allow up to 5000 ppm of sodium chloride for competition purposes.
Children
No Data