Race the 1000 & 1650 the same day

I would like some input from people who have actually swum the 1000 & 1650 on the same day in a meet. It looks like there are people out there who do it seemingly successfully (by looking at their times) but I wonder if they regretted this decision a bit. Or trained specifically with that intent. The only thing I could think of to prep for this might be doubles in the pool once or twice a week. Or were they able to successfully nap between the events. See, I'd like to swim the 1000 at Nats but I'm basically shot to high heaven after that event anyways. I just barely meet the Qualifying time in both for my age group, so that's not a deterrent. So, I'm considering potentially "stupid" things. And I can't decide whether I should be talked into or out of doing both. What do you have for me? Advice? Warnings to heed? Help me fully inform my decision.
Parents
  • Hey, if I can race a 3K and 1K back-to-back at the Georgia Games Open Water Meet (in 2013 at the age of 51 with less than 5 minutes rest between the two), then I know you can tackle the 1000 and 1650 at Nationals. :cheerleader: P.S. What heat are you in for the 1650? I'll cheer you on! (I'm in heat #3). Of course I can swim the distance...but can I swim it at a 1000 pace & a 1650 pace instead of a 1000 pace and an "oh, dear, is she ok?" pace. That is the question! :). The more doubles I do, the more convinced I am I'll swim better in the afternoon even if it doesn't feel great. If they do combine men & women and they number the heats regardless of course (like, odds course A) then I don't know. That sounds like fuzzy math to me. Looks like 25 total heats. Heat 12 maybe? Somewhere smack in the middle. I love cheer-ers. No one else from my team is coming. I plan on bumming with some people I kind-of know from local meets. Although, if you're in the 2nd wave and I'm in the 6th wave, that might put me either end-of-snooze or on a total adrenaline high when your heat comes up. If it's the latter, I'll be cheering for you! :)
  • Hey, if I can race a 3K and 1K back-to-back at the Georgia Games Open Water Meet (in 2013 at the age of 51 with less than 5 minutes rest between the two), then I know you can tackle the 1000 and 1650 at Nationals. :cheerleader: P.S. What heat are you in for the 1650? I'll cheer you on! (I'm in heat #3). Of course I can swim the distance...but can I swim it at a 1000 pace & a 1650 pace instead of a 1000 pace and an "oh, dear, is she ok?" pace. That is the question! :). The more doubles I do, the more convinced I am I'll swim better in the afternoon even if it doesn't feel great. If they do combine men & women and they number the heats regardless of course (like, odds course A) then I don't know. That sounds like fuzzy math to me. Looks like 25 total heats. Heat 12 maybe? Somewhere smack in the middle. I love cheer-ers. No one else from my team is coming. I plan on bumming with some people I kind-of know from local meets. Although, if you're in the 2nd wave and I'm in the 6th wave, that might put me either end-of-snooze or on a total adrenaline high when your heat comes up. If it's the latter, I'll be cheering for you! :)
Children
No Data