Race the 1000 & 1650 the same day

I would like some input from people who have actually swum the 1000 & 1650 on the same day in a meet. It looks like there are people out there who do it seemingly successfully (by looking at their times) but I wonder if they regretted this decision a bit. Or trained specifically with that intent. The only thing I could think of to prep for this might be doubles in the pool once or twice a week. Or were they able to successfully nap between the events. See, I'd like to swim the 1000 at Nats but I'm basically shot to high heaven after that event anyways. I just barely meet the Qualifying time in both for my age group, so that's not a deterrent. So, I'm considering potentially "stupid" things. And I can't decide whether I should be talked into or out of doing both. What do you have for me? Advice? Warnings to heed? Help me fully inform my decision.
Parents
  • Thank you so much for all the great comments! I did it. I registered for the 1000 & the 1650 and to add insult to injury, the 500 Free the next morning. :afraid: I had a chance to go back to the pool a second time yesterday and actually had a better afternoon practice than morning practice despite the morning being hard. So, I think I'll be ok that first day. I may not hit any PBs in that 1650 but I'm ok with that. And so far, I've only been able to swim my 500 after being wiped anyways, so that time will probably hold up fine - it's only a second faster than my split from my 1000! I've never really considered myself a distance swimmer but I do tend to be able to hold a fairly consistent pace for 30 minutes of continuous swimming before I tank. Might as well give it a shot, see what I can do. Won't know unless I try.
  • Thank you so much for all the great comments! I did it. I registered for the 1000 & the 1650 and to add insult to injury, the 500 Free the next morning. :afraid: I had a chance to go back to the pool a second time yesterday and actually had a better afternoon practice than morning practice despite the morning being hard. So, I think I'll be ok that first day. I may not hit any PBs in that 1650 but I'm ok with that. And so far, I've only been able to swim my 500 after being wiped anyways, so that time will probably hold up fine - it's only a second faster than my split from my 1000! I've never really considered myself a distance swimmer but I do tend to be able to hold a fairly consistent pace for 30 minutes of continuous swimming before I tank. Might as well give it a shot, see what I can do. Won't know unless I try.
Children
No Data