Race the 1000 & 1650 the same day

I would like some input from people who have actually swum the 1000 & 1650 on the same day in a meet. It looks like there are people out there who do it seemingly successfully (by looking at their times) but I wonder if they regretted this decision a bit. Or trained specifically with that intent. The only thing I could think of to prep for this might be doubles in the pool once or twice a week. Or were they able to successfully nap between the events. See, I'd like to swim the 1000 at Nats but I'm basically shot to high heaven after that event anyways. I just barely meet the Qualifying time in both for my age group, so that's not a deterrent. So, I'm considering potentially "stupid" things. And I can't decide whether I should be talked into or out of doing both. What do you have for me? Advice? Warnings to heed? Help me fully inform my decision.
Parents
  • I did the 1650 and 1000 last year in San Antonio, setting personal bests in both. So that was a positive experience for me. I'm planning on doing both again in Greensboro next month. I think I would prefer having the 1650 first and then the 1000 like it was in San Antonio. But this year the 1000 is first and then the 1650, so I guess I'll find out which order I prefer :) I do a lot of open water swims and have many times doubled a 1-mile and 2-mile swim in both orders. Whichever one you do first will definitely feel better and be the better swim. But with distance swimming, it's easier to pace yourself appropriately and still put up a very respectable time in the second event. At least that's been my experience. Painful? Yes! But pain is welcomed by distance swimmers, right? Only bit of advice I'd give is to make sure you re-hydrate and refuel between the events. Whatever your recovery drink of choice is, be sure to use it and perhaps get a few other calories in your body from a food source that you know you swim well on. There should be sufficient time between the two swims that you can drink, eat, rest and recover fairly well to be ready for the 1650 later in the day. I say do it!
  • I did the 1650 and 1000 last year in San Antonio, setting personal bests in both. So that was a positive experience for me. I'm planning on doing both again in Greensboro next month. I think I would prefer having the 1650 first and then the 1000 like it was in San Antonio. But this year the 1000 is first and then the 1650, so I guess I'll find out which order I prefer :) I do a lot of open water swims and have many times doubled a 1-mile and 2-mile swim in both orders. Whichever one you do first will definitely feel better and be the better swim. But with distance swimming, it's easier to pace yourself appropriately and still put up a very respectable time in the second event. At least that's been my experience. Painful? Yes! But pain is welcomed by distance swimmers, right? Only bit of advice I'd give is to make sure you re-hydrate and refuel between the events. Whatever your recovery drink of choice is, be sure to use it and perhaps get a few other calories in your body from a food source that you know you swim well on. There should be sufficient time between the two swims that you can drink, eat, rest and recover fairly well to be ready for the 1650 later in the day. I say do it!
Children
No Data