Having a bad practice

Ok, quick question across the group. Say you are having a bad practice. Can't get any speed, feeling slow in the water, do you gut it out or do you quit and rest up for another day? I've had a couple in the past week and one I quit on (although I was swimming on my own) and another I fought through it (team practice). Thoughts?
Parents
  • Have you spoken with your coach? How about your teammates? Have they experienced the same issues? There are many variables that might be contributing to the way you're feeling and you can consult with your team if you continue to have difficult practices. You might want to reassess the practices you have been doing - if they have been very similar in structure and intensity you may have reached a plateau in your progress. Do you work on technique? If not, then you will be very likely to experience many frustrations, because practices that consist entirely of fullstroke without any technique work will not be the key to your success without expending tremendous amounts of energy. Have you had a stroke analysis? There might be elements of your stroke that need to be improved for greater efficiency in the water. Bottom line is if you continue to experience these types of practices on a regular basis, there is something that needs to be changed. You might need to start asking a different question - not what you can do to get through those practices, but why you are having bad practices in the first place.
  • Have you spoken with your coach? How about your teammates? Have they experienced the same issues? There are many variables that might be contributing to the way you're feeling and you can consult with your team if you continue to have difficult practices. You might want to reassess the practices you have been doing - if they have been very similar in structure and intensity you may have reached a plateau in your progress. Do you work on technique? If not, then you will be very likely to experience many frustrations, because practices that consist entirely of fullstroke without any technique work will not be the key to your success without expending tremendous amounts of energy. Have you had a stroke analysis? There might be elements of your stroke that need to be improved for greater efficiency in the water. Bottom line is if you continue to experience these types of practices on a regular basis, there is something that needs to be changed. You might need to start asking a different question - not what you can do to get through those practices, but why you are having bad practices in the first place.
Children
No Data