Having a bad practice

Ok, quick question across the group. Say you are having a bad practice. Can't get any speed, feeling slow in the water, do you gut it out or do you quit and rest up for another day? I've had a couple in the past week and one I quit on (although I was swimming on my own) and another I fought through it (team practice). Thoughts?
Parents
  • I know the feeling. Everyone does. Like almost everything in swimming, it's a head game. No one is going to "have it" every workout. The key is making something positive out of those days when things don't seem to be going right. You are already at the pool. if you can change your focus, there are still plenty of things you get done on an off day. You could just work on technique, or distance per stroke. Breathing on your alternate side. Sometimes even those feel like too much. You could concentrate on your form in and out of the walls. Still too much? Just improve your streamline off the wall. My point is that there are literally dozens of things you can improve upon on off days, even on days when you really, really want to get out. If you can do this, you win the mind game, improve something and know that you can push through next time things get tough. Thanks for the question. I needed to be reminded of this.
  • I know the feeling. Everyone does. Like almost everything in swimming, it's a head game. No one is going to "have it" every workout. The key is making something positive out of those days when things don't seem to be going right. You are already at the pool. if you can change your focus, there are still plenty of things you get done on an off day. You could just work on technique, or distance per stroke. Breathing on your alternate side. Sometimes even those feel like too much. You could concentrate on your form in and out of the walls. Still too much? Just improve your streamline off the wall. My point is that there are literally dozens of things you can improve upon on off days, even on days when you really, really want to get out. If you can do this, you win the mind game, improve something and know that you can push through next time things get tough. Thanks for the question. I needed to be reminded of this.
Children
No Data