Stroke Swimmers

Following the Cardiac Swimmers thread, I'm wondering if there are any swimmers on this board who have had a stroke. Was there any residual weakness? -If not, how long before you were able to return to swimming? -If so, was swimming part of your physical therapy? Thanks, Lyn
Parents
  • Well, yeah, I'm one of those too. I had a minor stroke (TIA) on my 39th birthday in 1987. It was caused by a defective aortic valve which I had to have replaced a few years later. I had no effects from it beyond a couple weeks, which was all in the speech center. I would garble a word or two every now and then. It went away entirely after that and there was no physical weakness associated with it. It happened while I was working out. Attempting to do 10 pull ups, I got to 8 and something went pop. I was back to running again one week later, but never tried another pull up to this day. I did not do PT/rehab after that or the valve replacement. I just returned to running as soon as I could. I was not much of a swimmer then, although I did do a 1500 in a triathlon in 1986 and continued to swim laps for cross training on and off for 30 years. Threw shot put for 25 years too. Was never especially good at that, but it was fun anyway.
  • Well, yeah, I'm one of those too. I had a minor stroke (TIA) on my 39th birthday in 1987. It was caused by a defective aortic valve which I had to have replaced a few years later. I had no effects from it beyond a couple weeks, which was all in the speech center. I would garble a word or two every now and then. It went away entirely after that and there was no physical weakness associated with it. It happened while I was working out. Attempting to do 10 pull ups, I got to 8 and something went pop. I was back to running again one week later, but never tried another pull up to this day. I did not do PT/rehab after that or the valve replacement. I just returned to running as soon as I could. I was not much of a swimmer then, although I did do a 1500 in a triathlon in 1986 and continued to swim laps for cross training on and off for 30 years. Threw shot put for 25 years too. Was never especially good at that, but it was fun anyway.
Children
No Data