Measuring outdoor pool

I have used the gmap-pedometer app for years to measure running routes. It's good, but can be off after several miles if you don't track turns properly. Then I wondered how accurate it would be on a specific short distance. So I tried it on a town pool (Colonie NY) which states it is Olympic Size. I have always logged laps there in meters, but you never really know when they say that, whether it's yards or meters. Here's a link to the map which showed me exactly 50 meters. www.gmap-pedometer.com/
Parents
  • I have used the gmap-pedometer app for years to measure running routes. It's good, but can be off after several miles if you don't track turns properly. Then I wondered how accurate it would be on a specific short distance. So I tried it on a town pool (Colonie NY) which states it is Olympic Size. I have always logged laps there in meters, but you never really know when they say that, whether it's yards or meters. Here's a link to the map which showed me exactly 50 meters. www.gmap-pedometer.com/ For competition, the pool must be measured with a surveyors tape or transit. Many facilities say they have Olympic size pools. I've seen 20 yard hotel pools advertised as Olympic sized. The pool in Colonie looks like 50 m.
  • I have used the gmap-pedometer app for years to measure running routes. It's good, but can be off after several miles if you don't track turns properly. Then I wondered how accurate it would be on a specific short distance. So I tried it on a town pool (Colonie NY) which states it is Olympic Size. I have always logged laps there in meters, but you never really know when they say that, whether it's yards or meters. Here's a link to the map which showed me exactly 50 meters. www.gmap-pedometer.com/ For competition, the pool must be measured with a surveyors tape or transit. Many facilities say they have Olympic size pools. I've seen 20 yard hotel pools advertised as Olympic sized. The pool in Colonie looks like 50 m.
Children
No Data