How am I doing with this workout?

Former Member
Former Member
This is probably my second post here and I changed things up a little since my last post. The reason I am asking is because I am not coached by anyone and try my best to push myself. I am almost 55 years old now. This is my current workout that takes me an average of 1:50 to get through. I am fortunate that the health club I belong to has a 4 lane 25 Meter pool. Here goes. 10 X 500 Alternate 1 X 500 meter Free, 1 X 500 meter *** Stroke 500 Meter Free's I am holding average of 9:30 500 Meter *** I am holding average of 10:30 I take 1-1:45 minute average Rest between all 500's At the end I do one easy lap of easy swimming and stretching. On occasion I push this another 3 X 500's (13) when I feel up to it. When going through this workout I am pushing moderately for each set. At the end of this workout I feel pretty darn worked out. I do this routine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I am doing some weight work in the gym. Saturday and Sunday are time off resting and enjoying life with my family. How does this routine look to some of the more savoy experienced Swimmers on this site? I have been swimming for about a year now after a 38 year layoff since High School competition. Recently, I have also thought about joining Masters Swimming in my area which is Gilbert, Arizona. Thank you for reviewing this. Greg
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    That seems too much for the time given. If so then good for you. UUMMMM ?? 7,000 yards in an hour 50? You might want t break it into more of shorted distance for faster short races. I have thought about this and that is one of the reasons I am interested in Masters, so I can get proper coaching for my age bracket. The swimming practices from the mid to late 70's when I was a CHSAA NYC champ are a distant, blurred memory now. For the life of me I don't remember what the coach had me doing, though I remember sometimes swimming 2X a day. Morning and afternoon.
  • Former Member
    Good deal :) Be open to some new things that you might not have made yourself do on your own. Nothing like another coach's practice to make me do things I wouldn't otherwise make myself do! I am looking forward to it, the season starts in April in my neck of the woods.:)
  • Former Member
    Today at the suggestion of a gym trainer I switched it up a little. I did my weight workout, then went to the pool and swam 4 X 500 meters of 2 freestyle and two breaststroke. Felt nice and loose and did good on the cardio. Regardless, I do plan on joining Masters and getting a coached swim workout.:) Just one 500m breastroke swim seems like an awful long way, and my best event is 200m breastroke!
  • Former Member
    Hi Greg-- I lived in the metro Phoenix area for about 20 years and swam with a few different masters teams, starting in 1998, I could probably count on 1 hand the number of masters workouts I've done that were over 6000m. That said, if those sets work for you, and you enjoy doing them, then I don't see anything wrong with them. There's a good USMS team in Mesa, with a few different locations, and I'd encourage you to try it out, sooner rather than later. Other than adjusting for SCY/LCM/SCM, there really aren't, "seasons," where you have to wait to swim. They pretty much swim every day (except Christmas and Easter), with workouts early morning/mid-day/evening. Here's the team's website: www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp Are you training for some open water events? If so, then it would totally make sense to do these long aerobic sets. Thank You for the information. I have found one closer to home. Today I had a revelation about me workout. I measured the pool I workout in and found it is bigger than 25 meters! It is actually 100 feet long. So now when I do 201 laps it actually equals 20,100 feet or 3.8 miles. Without realizing it it some of my swims have been nearly 5 miles at the 261 lap mark. On my longest swim I put in 6.25 miles without realizing it! The flip side of it is I am also much faster than I thought too. I timed a 200 foot Breaststroke today when I was tired and did it in 45 seconds with no dive and just a push off. I am planning to have my first coached workout on Saturday morning it the Evo Swim School that has a Master's program there. This will be my first coached workout in nearly 40 years and I am excited about it!
  • Former Member
    Today I measured the pool with a tape and found the true distance to be 75 feet. Sorry about the confusion. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • Let us know how the 1st swim goes.