Kicking goes nowhere

Newbie here again. I have no kick. Using a kick board I flail my legs like crazy and go absolutely nowhere. I literally come to a dead stop in the water. I try to kick from the hip. I try to keep them from dropping low. I found one video on line that explained how runners can have a difficult time developing a kick. I've been a runner 40+ years and my anatomy has adapted to that completely. It's all about how the tendons of the ankle and achilles have formed for running. I physically cannot point my toes beyond 45 degrees and doing so for more than a few seconds will result in calf cramps of mega-proportions. I also tried using fins once and didn't get 20 yards before severe toe cramps. My forefoot is also quite wide and can't be restrained in those things. Can anyone point me to a video that will give me pointers? Right now I'm going on 100% arm propulsion and the legs are just along for the ride and could even be holding me back.
  • Yes, I signed up for a 10 week master swim class, but it doesn't start until Feb 25. I'm just being a bit impatient.
  • Hi there, it's great to see that you're looking to improve your kick. I would first of all recommend that you get a coach/instructor to look at your kicking technique, or get someone to take a video of you while you are kicking so you can review your progress. It is one thing to watch an instructional video, but because you can't see yourself in the water you won't really know whether you are kicking correctly, or whether you even need the specific drills that the video might prescribe. In the meantime, be patient and practice your kick consistently over very short distances. As you yourself pointed out, you are new to the sport and you've been a runner for many years, so you will not be able to adapt instantly to the water. It will take time for your body to adjust. I would also suggest avoiding the fins - they are going to force your feet and ankles to move in ways that they are not capable of just yet, and might lead to injuries. Believe it or not, the kickboard is not the absolute best way to improve your kick. Try looking for alternative kicking drills that don't use the board exclusively. There are certain drills that will help improve your kick without actually isolating the legs too much. The "side-to-side" drill for example will help you practice the kick with help from upper body, so you'll be reinforcing the leg work without as much frustration. Again, be patient and be persistent. Good luck!!
  • One reason kicking can result in little forward propulsion is that the person lets their knee move upward when their foot kicks downward. You can think about kicking a soccer ball with your foot. Normally you would swing your leg forward and extend your knee to move your foot forward. This motion would create propulsion. If you allow your knee to move backwards while you extend your foot you would not kick the ball very far. One way you can see what you are actually doing is to kick in a vertical position in the corner of the pool with each arm supporting you and look down to see if your knee stays forward as you kick or whether you knee moves backwards while you kick. Here is a link to a presentation given at the USOTC on freestyle and talks about the kick: PDF Slides: www.usaswimming.org/.../Freestyle Foundations.pdf Video: usaswimming.adobeconnect.com/.../
  • I physically cannot point my toes beyond 45 degrees and doing so for more than a few seconds will result in calf cramps of mega-proportions. If you can't point your toes I am not sure it matters what else you do with your legs and feet. I am a pretty good kicker but if I hold my feet flexed rather than letting them extend loosely I too go backwards. Dragging the legs is not a bad option for a person with inflexible ankles.
  • This may help forums.usms.org/showthread.php You are hindered by your foot flexibility The point is you can't point your toes. Great kickers don't concentrate on pointing their toes When they kick their toes & feet just go into a point & beyond. Notice how flexible & floppy phelps feet are http://youtu.be/T9eDAQxL5cA
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Keep kicking with fins. The cramps will reduce and eventually go away. It will help you find the correct form faster and also improve your ankle flexibility. If you are serious you should do daily ankle flexibility stretches. Doing a stretch every day will give you more gains in 2 weeks then only doing it once a week for 6 months I have found in my experience. Look at this article and do stretches 1 and 2 and eventually work up to 3: www.cfracing.com.au/.../
  • Yes - fins will allow more flex for you. Borrow some from a friend to see if you like soft or hard fins.