High School Meet Results

There's a trend in this state (Rhode Island) that disappoints me. From time to time, in certain meets, they will do away with the 500 freestyle. And (when my daughter was on the HS team) I personally witnessed that it's sometimes because the coaches can't entice anyone to swim it. Lame! Sometimes it's because the team is so small that they don't have enough swimmers. OK...maybe! First, if I were the coach, and I have plenty of swimmers on my team, I pick a kid and tell him/her to get up on the blocks and swim the race!!! But...if the rules are going to be bent by not conducting an event...when a team is truly shorthanded...why not bend the rules differently? Instead of scratching an event, let certain swimmers compete in an extra event so that ALL the scheduled events can be competed? Dan
Parents
  • Is this a hard and fast rule? I recall Ryan Lochte entering damn near every event at a meet a couple years ago. I think it was Olympic Trials or a Nationals meet that was a selection meet for Worlds. There was lots of speculation about what he would and would not swim. It is possible that it still amounted to no more than three events per day.Entering and swimming are 2 different things. The limits apply to the number of events you swim. In meets like Olympic Trials and NCAA you can enter all the events for which you have achieved the qualifying time, however you must scratch down to the swim limit by the scratch deadline. With the Olympic schedule (prelims, semis and finals) it is real hard to find a swimmer who can compete in 3 different individual events in a single day. Especially given that there are at most 3 individual event prelims OR finals on any given day. In Lochte’s prior Olympic Trials he entered (and paid entry fees for) more events than he swam. He scratched or DFS’ed the others.
  • Is this a hard and fast rule? I recall Ryan Lochte entering damn near every event at a meet a couple years ago. I think it was Olympic Trials or a Nationals meet that was a selection meet for Worlds. There was lots of speculation about what he would and would not swim. It is possible that it still amounted to no more than three events per day.Entering and swimming are 2 different things. The limits apply to the number of events you swim. In meets like Olympic Trials and NCAA you can enter all the events for which you have achieved the qualifying time, however you must scratch down to the swim limit by the scratch deadline. With the Olympic schedule (prelims, semis and finals) it is real hard to find a swimmer who can compete in 3 different individual events in a single day. Especially given that there are at most 3 individual event prelims OR finals on any given day. In Lochte’s prior Olympic Trials he entered (and paid entry fees for) more events than he swam. He scratched or DFS’ed the others.
Children
No Data