High School Meet Results

There's a trend in this state (Rhode Island) that disappoints me. From time to time, in certain meets, they will do away with the 500 freestyle. And (when my daughter was on the HS team) I personally witnessed that it's sometimes because the coaches can't entice anyone to swim it. Lame! Sometimes it's because the team is so small that they don't have enough swimmers. OK...maybe! First, if I were the coach, and I have plenty of swimmers on my team, I pick a kid and tell him/her to get up on the blocks and swim the race!!! But...if the rules are going to be bent by not conducting an event...when a team is truly shorthanded...why not bend the rules differently? Instead of scratching an event, let certain swimmers compete in an extra event so that ALL the scheduled events can be competed? Dan
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Very, actually. Any "club swimming" meets are governed by USA Swimming rules. High school swimming rules are also consistent. The order of events and number of events that a swimmer is allowed to swim is consistent from state-to-state. College swimming is governed by the NCAA. There are slight differences between Divisions 1, 2, and 3, but for the most part the rules governing competition are quite consistent. Is it only at the Olympics that they allow someone to enter more than 4 events (Spitz, Phelps,ect...)???
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Very, actually. Any "club swimming" meets are governed by USA Swimming rules. High school swimming rules are also consistent. The order of events and number of events that a swimmer is allowed to swim is consistent from state-to-state. College swimming is governed by the NCAA. There are slight differences between Divisions 1, 2, and 3, but for the most part the rules governing competition are quite consistent. Is it only at the Olympics that they allow someone to enter more than 4 events (Spitz, Phelps,ect...)???
Children
No Data