HS swim teams. Was it worth the time and effort?

Former Member
Former Member
My son is a 10th grader. He is the best swimmer on his team, he is struggling with continuing on. At times he likes it, other times he really dislikes it. Small school Div 3 in Michigan. He is not a phenom swimmer, could maybe swim in college which he does not want to do (which I understand, especially for a walkon or a partial scholarship, you need to really love the sport). Not likely he will be involved in any other sport in HS. He likes weight lifting so he will stay in shape via personal work outs lifting and some running. He has a life guard job (very part time) but will be around the water. He swam club from 3rd to 7th grade taking springs off. Took 8th grade off and then swam HS for 9th. He is a big kid. 6' 3" 215 pounds with size 16 flippers. Mostly a sprinter but can swim all strokes any distance. 23.39 50 SCY is his best time. No prep for this season, just weight lifiting and some running this past summer. No club swimming. Team and Coaches would miss him. Coaches are very understanding and are very flexible in dealing with swimmers as individuals. They really look at swimmers as individuals and customize their program to the type of team and swimmers they have. I am thinking he will not be back next year. I think he will regret it later. But in the end he must want to do it. Any thoughts on how you felt about HS swimming? any motivating tips?
Parents
  • They play it once in a while as a fun thing in practice and have a alumni game every year against the team. The kids love it. The coaches are alumni from the school also and play. No official club though. This is a great idea though. Could be a great thing for the girls team also. I will ask/suggest it to the coaches. Could benefit a lot of kids present/future. Our swim coaches also coach the polo teams (girls and boys - they often practice together). There was quite a learning curve in the beginning for both the coaches and the swimmers. They often have to play in pools that are too shallow at one end to follow the rules exactly but they have a great time. Most of the schools in the district have water polo clubs. There is one team in our district whose coach is too competitive to let his kids do polo. It's a shame, IMO.
  • They play it once in a while as a fun thing in practice and have a alumni game every year against the team. The kids love it. The coaches are alumni from the school also and play. No official club though. This is a great idea though. Could be a great thing for the girls team also. I will ask/suggest it to the coaches. Could benefit a lot of kids present/future. Our swim coaches also coach the polo teams (girls and boys - they often practice together). There was quite a learning curve in the beginning for both the coaches and the swimmers. They often have to play in pools that are too shallow at one end to follow the rules exactly but they have a great time. Most of the schools in the district have water polo clubs. There is one team in our district whose coach is too competitive to let his kids do polo. It's a shame, IMO.
Children
No Data