HS swim teams. Was it worth the time and effort?

Former Member
Former Member
My son is a 10th grader. He is the best swimmer on his team, he is struggling with continuing on. At times he likes it, other times he really dislikes it. Small school Div 3 in Michigan. He is not a phenom swimmer, could maybe swim in college which he does not want to do (which I understand, especially for a walkon or a partial scholarship, you need to really love the sport). Not likely he will be involved in any other sport in HS. He likes weight lifting so he will stay in shape via personal work outs lifting and some running. He has a life guard job (very part time) but will be around the water. He swam club from 3rd to 7th grade taking springs off. Took 8th grade off and then swam HS for 9th. He is a big kid. 6' 3" 215 pounds with size 16 flippers. Mostly a sprinter but can swim all strokes any distance. 23.39 50 SCY is his best time. No prep for this season, just weight lifiting and some running this past summer. No club swimming. Team and Coaches would miss him. Coaches are very understanding and are very flexible in dealing with swimmers as individuals. They really look at swimmers as individuals and customize their program to the type of team and swimmers they have. I am thinking he will not be back next year. I think he will regret it later. But in the end he must want to do it. Any thoughts on how you felt about HS swimming? any motivating tips?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Well that has been our rule no quitting during a season. I guess much of this is really about what he really wants to do. Not a lot of glory for ton of effort you swimmers go through. I think this is a mentally and physically demanding sport. I personally think you can get some intangible benefits. Yet it might not be your thing if you don't really like it and see the value in all your effort. I am hoping the season ends well and he improves just a tad to end on a high note. Especially if it is his last. Maybe he will continue or come back as a senior. I think he needs to want to do it for himself though. I posted this because I truly think he will regret walking away latter in life. I have expressed it. But I think it best if I just be there to support his decisions. If he asks I can encourage but must be careful to not pressure him. Could be a lot worse. Good kid with good grades. I think it bothers me more, so I need to tread lightly here I think. I like the idea of helping him find a new activity. If he walks away from swimming. He is not a ball sports kid though. The water was his equalizer. He has flirted with track and field. But think weights and maybe martial arts is more appealing to him. Those would need to be outside of school though. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Well that has been our rule no quitting during a season. I guess much of this is really about what he really wants to do. Not a lot of glory for ton of effort you swimmers go through. I think this is a mentally and physically demanding sport. I personally think you can get some intangible benefits. Yet it might not be your thing if you don't really like it and see the value in all your effort. I am hoping the season ends well and he improves just a tad to end on a high note. Especially if it is his last. Maybe he will continue or come back as a senior. I think he needs to want to do it for himself though. I posted this because I truly think he will regret walking away latter in life. I have expressed it. But I think it best if I just be there to support his decisions. If he asks I can encourage but must be careful to not pressure him. Could be a lot worse. Good kid with good grades. I think it bothers me more, so I need to tread lightly here I think. I like the idea of helping him find a new activity. If he walks away from swimming. He is not a ball sports kid though. The water was his equalizer. He has flirted with track and field. But think weights and maybe martial arts is more appealing to him. Those would need to be outside of school though. Thanks for the thoughts.
Children
No Data