Humerus/shoulder impact injury

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I suffered a humerus fracture with an impacted head a month ago - from a trip while running. I am looking for anyone who has dealt with a similar injury and got range of motion back or dealt with less than great range of motion in the shoulder. The orthopedist said there is a real risk I will not be able to extend my arm. Apparently surgery likely will not help. He said I would "be able to do my hair" but I could not care less about that! I just want to swim and not the dog paddle. I have looked at lots of the shoulder posts. Today I can touch my nose. Seeking success stories or stroke adjustments. Yes, I am getting another ortho opinion. Thank you!
Parents
  • Hi there. Sorry about the injury. Yuk! I had a similar injury several years ago falling from my bike. Didn't know it was broken until several months later when I finally had it looked at. The original doc in a box said it was probably just a strained ligament. I had pain from my shoulder up through my neck and behind my ear for a long time, but thought it was stress from work. Once I finally had it looked at and an MRI done, it was obvious that the edge was broken and the pain was from the tendons/ligaments rubbing on it. I was downing a lot of prescription strength aleve to ease it somewhat, but not all. Had an easy scope surgery to smooth out the bone and seriously, within 48 hours of it, the pain in my neck was gone. I did a lot of PT at home afterwards with bands, but was back in the pool in about 2 months. Now it occasionally barks at me with paddles, but I've gone on to do some long OW swims without any issues. I'm back to 100% for sure. The swimming definitely helped getting that shoulder strong again. Get a second opinion, but if it appears that it just needs to be smoothed out/cleaned up, go for it.
  • Hi there. Sorry about the injury. Yuk! I had a similar injury several years ago falling from my bike. Didn't know it was broken until several months later when I finally had it looked at. The original doc in a box said it was probably just a strained ligament. I had pain from my shoulder up through my neck and behind my ear for a long time, but thought it was stress from work. Once I finally had it looked at and an MRI done, it was obvious that the edge was broken and the pain was from the tendons/ligaments rubbing on it. I was downing a lot of prescription strength aleve to ease it somewhat, but not all. Had an easy scope surgery to smooth out the bone and seriously, within 48 hours of it, the pain in my neck was gone. I did a lot of PT at home afterwards with bands, but was back in the pool in about 2 months. Now it occasionally barks at me with paddles, but I've gone on to do some long OW swims without any issues. I'm back to 100% for sure. The swimming definitely helped getting that shoulder strong again. Get a second opinion, but if it appears that it just needs to be smoothed out/cleaned up, go for it.
Children
No Data