Humerus/shoulder impact injury

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I suffered a humerus fracture with an impacted head a month ago - from a trip while running. I am looking for anyone who has dealt with a similar injury and got range of motion back or dealt with less than great range of motion in the shoulder. The orthopedist said there is a real risk I will not be able to extend my arm. Apparently surgery likely will not help. He said I would "be able to do my hair" but I could not care less about that! I just want to swim and not the dog paddle. I have looked at lots of the shoulder posts. Today I can touch my nose. Seeking success stories or stroke adjustments. Yes, I am getting another ortho opinion. Thank you!
Parents
  • Perhaps not the same injury, but my experience was similar enough, I figured I'd share. On July 26th, 2014, I got in a very serious bike wreck while traveling 30mph on pavement. Impact was mostly on my left side, breaking my collarbone, 4 ribs and shoulder blade. I didn't fracture my humerus, but the humeral head was slightly displaced and the doctor said I might not regain full range of motion. I'll give you my timeline and ultimate return to the pool. I was very concerned when I couldn't even think of moving my arm 4 weeks after the accident. I thought I might never be able to fully rotate it again because even just trying to lift it even an inch from the side of my body was excruciating. I thought that I might have had some rotator cuff damage or some other soft tissue damage. And I might have, but I didn't have insurance at the time so I didn't get it checked out any further. I was diligent with rehabbing and started doing range of motion exercises and rotator cuff strengthening exercises as soon as I could without too much "bad" pain. I also made sure to walk every day to get my heart rate up to increase blood flow and hopefully help speed the healing process. Sometime around week 5 or 6, the pain started to diminish very slightly and I could raise my arm just a small bit. Between weeks 6 and 8 I worked hard a getting full range of motion back. I heard some criticism from some people about rushing it too much. I am pretty in tune with my body from being a life-long athlete, and I feel like I understand the difference between pain that's damaging and pain that's not. So I pushed the boundaries a bit and slowly tried to regain movement in my arm. Making sure to stop if I thought the pain could be causing damage instead of helping with the healing. I also used comfrey compresses on the bones (scapula and collar bone) and drank some herbal tea that was supposed to be high in minerals that help heal bones more quickly. Not sure if those things actually helped but they certainly didn't hurt me. I started back swimming sometime around week 5 or 6, when I could safely get in and out of the pool, but I only kicked on my back with my arm at my side when I started. Eventually I tried to kick with both arms extended above my head...once I started getting some range of motion again. I think that was sometime between weeks 7 and 8. My first "workout" was on Sept. 26th, a full 9 weeks after the accident. As for success stories, by November, I was swimming pretty well again, but didn't have full strength back on my left side. I did manage to do the 3000 and 6000 yard ePostals and somehow won my age group in both! And then I attended a meet on November 15th and posted a top 10 time in the 800 SCM free (9:51). So, in terms of advice, I'd say just try to rehab as best as you can, as soon as you can do so without doing damage. Keep up some sort of physical activity every day that gets your heart rate up, get lots of sleep, eat healthy meals and just try to stay positive. You'll be recovered quicker than you think and hopefully will regain full range of motion, or, like me, enough range of motion that it doesn't significantly impact your stroke.
  • Perhaps not the same injury, but my experience was similar enough, I figured I'd share. On July 26th, 2014, I got in a very serious bike wreck while traveling 30mph on pavement. Impact was mostly on my left side, breaking my collarbone, 4 ribs and shoulder blade. I didn't fracture my humerus, but the humeral head was slightly displaced and the doctor said I might not regain full range of motion. I'll give you my timeline and ultimate return to the pool. I was very concerned when I couldn't even think of moving my arm 4 weeks after the accident. I thought I might never be able to fully rotate it again because even just trying to lift it even an inch from the side of my body was excruciating. I thought that I might have had some rotator cuff damage or some other soft tissue damage. And I might have, but I didn't have insurance at the time so I didn't get it checked out any further. I was diligent with rehabbing and started doing range of motion exercises and rotator cuff strengthening exercises as soon as I could without too much "bad" pain. I also made sure to walk every day to get my heart rate up to increase blood flow and hopefully help speed the healing process. Sometime around week 5 or 6, the pain started to diminish very slightly and I could raise my arm just a small bit. Between weeks 6 and 8 I worked hard a getting full range of motion back. I heard some criticism from some people about rushing it too much. I am pretty in tune with my body from being a life-long athlete, and I feel like I understand the difference between pain that's damaging and pain that's not. So I pushed the boundaries a bit and slowly tried to regain movement in my arm. Making sure to stop if I thought the pain could be causing damage instead of helping with the healing. I also used comfrey compresses on the bones (scapula and collar bone) and drank some herbal tea that was supposed to be high in minerals that help heal bones more quickly. Not sure if those things actually helped but they certainly didn't hurt me. I started back swimming sometime around week 5 or 6, when I could safely get in and out of the pool, but I only kicked on my back with my arm at my side when I started. Eventually I tried to kick with both arms extended above my head...once I started getting some range of motion again. I think that was sometime between weeks 7 and 8. My first "workout" was on Sept. 26th, a full 9 weeks after the accident. As for success stories, by November, I was swimming pretty well again, but didn't have full strength back on my left side. I did manage to do the 3000 and 6000 yard ePostals and somehow won my age group in both! And then I attended a meet on November 15th and posted a top 10 time in the 800 SCM free (9:51). So, in terms of advice, I'd say just try to rehab as best as you can, as soon as you can do so without doing damage. Keep up some sort of physical activity every day that gets your heart rate up, get lots of sleep, eat healthy meals and just try to stay positive. You'll be recovered quicker than you think and hopefully will regain full range of motion, or, like me, enough range of motion that it doesn't significantly impact your stroke.
Children
No Data