quality versus quantity in sets

I swim with a group and we are having the quality vs. quantity debate. Currently the Macho element feels all the need to pound yardage by doing everything on extremely low rest 5 to 10 seconds. Longer sets turn into a continuous swim and it becomes discouraging. Like 50's on 40 and 100's on 120. I am olds school and actually like 20 to 30 seconds rest so you can descend sets and push it. Any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • Given all the amazing results by swimmers training under many different regimens, it seems clear that there are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to Rich Abrahams). As for me personally, at age 55 it is just as clear that the best workout is the one that I will actually do, instead of just talk about. Put in the effort. Always, always, always work on improving your technique. Show up to workout consistently. You will be on your way to the top of your age group. I encourage everyone in Masters to try different training methods to see which fit you best, both physically and mentally.
  • Given all the amazing results by swimmers training under many different regimens, it seems clear that there are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to Rich Abrahams). As for me personally, at age 55 it is just as clear that the best workout is the one that I will actually do, instead of just talk about. Put in the effort. Always, always, always work on improving your technique. Show up to workout consistently. You will be on your way to the top of your age group. I encourage everyone in Masters to try different training methods to see which fit you best, both physically and mentally.
Children
No Data