quality versus quantity in sets

I swim with a group and we are having the quality vs. quantity debate. Currently the Macho element feels all the need to pound yardage by doing everything on extremely low rest 5 to 10 seconds. Longer sets turn into a continuous swim and it becomes discouraging. Like 50's on 40 and 100's on 120. I am olds school and actually like 20 to 30 seconds rest so you can descend sets and push it. Any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • I think it's somewhat individualistic. There is no one-size-fits-all training plan. Figure out what your body responds to best and go with that. I used to do more yardage, less rest and just crank out yards. When I switched to doing more USRPT sets, very rarely swimming anything longer than a 100, but only getting 20 seconds rest, my times have dropped significantly, so that's working better for me. I also mix in some quality days here and there now, with some very high intensity effort. But being primarily a distance freestyler, I don't do that too often.
  • I think it's somewhat individualistic. There is no one-size-fits-all training plan. Figure out what your body responds to best and go with that. I used to do more yardage, less rest and just crank out yards. When I switched to doing more USRPT sets, very rarely swimming anything longer than a 100, but only getting 20 seconds rest, my times have dropped significantly, so that's working better for me. I also mix in some quality days here and there now, with some very high intensity effort. But being primarily a distance freestyler, I don't do that too often.
Children
No Data