quality versus quantity in sets

I swim with a group and we are having the quality vs. quantity debate. Currently the Macho element feels all the need to pound yardage by doing everything on extremely low rest 5 to 10 seconds. Longer sets turn into a continuous swim and it becomes discouraging. Like 50's on 40 and 100's on 120. I am olds school and actually like 20 to 30 seconds rest so you can descend sets and push it. Any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I my case, quantity make the difference. I the last few weeks, I was swimming a lot of long sets with long rest and really easy swimming between. I did a lot of technique exercise also. But I didn't swim many race pace sets at all. So going into my first SCM meeting this year, I was never expect to beat my times from last year . But here we go: I swam 2:13,0 in 200m back, almost 4 second faster than last year... It was my best SCM time since 2006 and it would put me into FINA TOP10 SCM last year in my age groupe (35-39).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I my case, quantity make the difference. I the last few weeks, I was swimming a lot of long sets with long rest and really easy swimming between. I did a lot of technique exercise also. But I didn't swim many race pace sets at all. So going into my first SCM meeting this year, I was never expect to beat my times from last year . But here we go: I swam 2:13,0 in 200m back, almost 4 second faster than last year... It was my best SCM time since 2006 and it would put me into FINA TOP10 SCM last year in my age groupe (35-39).
Children
No Data