Cardiac Swimmers

Looking for cardiac athletes. I belong to a couple online groups of athletes who all have had some sort of heart surgery. Bypass, stent, pacemaker, valve replacement, or aneurysm. They are mostly runners, but many cycle, ski, climb mountains, play team sports, etc. We wrote a book about our experiences. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any swimmers who have come back to competition after heart surgery. www.amazon.com/.../1500159638 I had a mechanical aortic valve replacement 25 years ago and continued to do road and track races and shot put. I only recently got more serious about swimming and wonder whether there are any others.
Parents
  • I have a rare, genetic condition called Long QT. I've had it my whole life and didn't know till I had my 55 year check-up. I come from a running background and was able to break 3 hours in the marathon twice so I was shocked when I discovered I had such a thing. The first EP I visited told me absolutely no working out. I was mortified and disgusted by this diagnosis. This Physician put me on a dosage of Beta Blockers that caused me to black-out when I was walking across the gym. I eventually got in with a research cardiology group who enabled me to get genetic testing. My LQT is a type they've never seen before and they are studying me. My EP and I think and hope my LQT is a non-problematic type so I continue to train and go to meets although I still take a very low dosage of Beta Blocker for protection.
  • I have a rare, genetic condition called Long QT. I've had it my whole life and didn't know till I had my 55 year check-up. I come from a running background and was able to break 3 hours in the marathon twice so I was shocked when I discovered I had such a thing. The first EP I visited told me absolutely no working out. I was mortified and disgusted by this diagnosis. This Physician put me on a dosage of Beta Blockers that caused me to black-out when I was walking across the gym. I eventually got in with a research cardiology group who enabled me to get genetic testing. My LQT is a type they've never seen before and they are studying me. My EP and I think and hope my LQT is a non-problematic type so I continue to train and go to meets although I still take a very low dosage of Beta Blocker for protection.
Children
No Data