Cardiac Swimmers

Looking for cardiac athletes. I belong to a couple online groups of athletes who all have had some sort of heart surgery. Bypass, stent, pacemaker, valve replacement, or aneurysm. They are mostly runners, but many cycle, ski, climb mountains, play team sports, etc. We wrote a book about our experiences. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any swimmers who have come back to competition after heart surgery. www.amazon.com/.../1500159638 I had a mechanical aortic valve replacement 25 years ago and continued to do road and track races and shot put. I only recently got more serious about swimming and wonder whether there are any others.
Parents
  • I am heart transplant and have swum competitively since being transplanted. I suffered a "drop" foot (had a "balloon" for 2 weeks which basically prevented leg movement - about 6 months after my LVAD surgery the flexibility of my left foot returned to about 90%). This is somewhat inhibiting because I am a *** stroker. Still have a ventral hernia (common when the LVAD is removed in the heart transplant surgery), this may cause some extra resistence in the water. As with all heart transplants my vagus nerve is cut, so lost neurological connections are substituted via other paths (???) - (at times I get out of breath quicker). I will be 65 this year and hope to get a couple of top 10 times. - Become a donor, someone did and saved my life - Thank You
  • I am heart transplant and have swum competitively since being transplanted. I suffered a "drop" foot (had a "balloon" for 2 weeks which basically prevented leg movement - about 6 months after my LVAD surgery the flexibility of my left foot returned to about 90%). This is somewhat inhibiting because I am a *** stroker. Still have a ventral hernia (common when the LVAD is removed in the heart transplant surgery), this may cause some extra resistence in the water. As with all heart transplants my vagus nerve is cut, so lost neurological connections are substituted via other paths (???) - (at times I get out of breath quicker). I will be 65 this year and hope to get a couple of top 10 times. - Become a donor, someone did and saved my life - Thank You
Children
No Data