Cardiac Swimmers

Looking for cardiac athletes. I belong to a couple online groups of athletes who all have had some sort of heart surgery. Bypass, stent, pacemaker, valve replacement, or aneurysm. They are mostly runners, but many cycle, ski, climb mountains, play team sports, etc. We wrote a book about our experiences. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any swimmers who have come back to competition after heart surgery. www.amazon.com/.../1500159638 I had a mechanical aortic valve replacement 25 years ago and continued to do road and track races and shot put. I only recently got more serious about swimming and wonder whether there are any others.
Parents
  • I was diagnosed with A Fib about a year and a half ago, and they did an angiogram last Feb. My doctors told me to watch my heart rate and not do anything that could push it too high, or it may not come back down and cause me to have a stroke. That mostly rules out sprints. Works out well for me as I was never a big fan of swimming in meets, but I do like open water swims. I've done some o/w events since with no issues. The cooler the water the better, as it helps keep the HR lower.
  • I was diagnosed with A Fib about a year and a half ago, and they did an angiogram last Feb. My doctors told me to watch my heart rate and not do anything that could push it too high, or it may not come back down and cause me to have a stroke. That mostly rules out sprints. Works out well for me as I was never a big fan of swimming in meets, but I do like open water swims. I've done some o/w events since with no issues. The cooler the water the better, as it helps keep the HR lower.
Children
No Data