Benefits of Paddles

Have you ever noticed that some people get an instant boost from putting on paddles while others don't? I swim with a training partner and we both hold around 1:10 "threshold" pace (per 100 yards) in training. When we put on paddles and do (as an example) 200s on the 2:35, I'll start out holding 2:25-2:30 and eventually tire out to the point of being touch and go. My training partner will hold 1:05-1:10 pretty comfortably. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this relates to training and racing? Is more paddle swimming going to make me a faster swimmer? Is it irrelevant to swimming speed without paddles? Does this indicate that I need to do more lifting to get my lats and triceps stronger? Anyone have any advice on training with paddles or stories about how paddle work has affected their racing?
Parents
  • Strength & endurance are my primary benefits with paddle work. I, however, am a long distance swimmer & want nothing to do with sprints. I have one speed, basically, so I have to outlast the rest of you. Paddle work helps me be able to develop that strong & stable front quadrant & be able to train up the most efficient stroke possible. So I use them to reinforce the efficiency of my catch/pull & to build up strength as well. They're two different types of training with the paddles, though. One means swimming fast with them & suffering mightily. The other may be a slightly slower swim with a smidge less suffer, but much longer.
  • Strength & endurance are my primary benefits with paddle work. I, however, am a long distance swimmer & want nothing to do with sprints. I have one speed, basically, so I have to outlast the rest of you. Paddle work helps me be able to develop that strong & stable front quadrant & be able to train up the most efficient stroke possible. So I use them to reinforce the efficiency of my catch/pull & to build up strength as well. They're two different types of training with the paddles, though. One means swimming fast with them & suffering mightily. The other may be a slightly slower swim with a smidge less suffer, but much longer.
Children
No Data