Swimming in Iceland

Has anyone been to Iceland and can comment on swimming pools for training around Reykjavik? Laugardalslaug looks like the premier facility with two 50 meter pools plus a water slide, but I see there's at least one other 50 meter pool in the metro area (in Kopavogur). Anyone know of any masters groups?
Parents
  • Jim probably means the Vesturbaerlaugar ("West Town Baths"). I swam there several times a week in 1988 and 1989. Circle swimming mostly didn't happen but swimming in the snow is unbeatable. I wasn't a very serious swimmer at the time anyway. I don't think I ever went to Laugardalur ("bathing grounds," roughly) or any other indoor pool while I lived in Reykjavik. Most urban Icelanders have excellent spoken and written English skills, so you probably can get a lot of advance information via email. If you just go to a municipal pool during lap swim hours, you definitely should hit the hot tub (heitipotturinn) and practice your Scandinavian with some of the occupants. Icelandic is more complicated than Swedish but they are mutually comprehensible if you use simple grammar and listen carefully. Even if all you said were "godan daginn, eg heiti Kirk fra Bandarikjunum" they would love it.
  • Jim probably means the Vesturbaerlaugar ("West Town Baths"). I swam there several times a week in 1988 and 1989. Circle swimming mostly didn't happen but swimming in the snow is unbeatable. I wasn't a very serious swimmer at the time anyway. I don't think I ever went to Laugardalur ("bathing grounds," roughly) or any other indoor pool while I lived in Reykjavik. Most urban Icelanders have excellent spoken and written English skills, so you probably can get a lot of advance information via email. If you just go to a municipal pool during lap swim hours, you definitely should hit the hot tub (heitipotturinn) and practice your Scandinavian with some of the occupants. Icelandic is more complicated than Swedish but they are mutually comprehensible if you use simple grammar and listen carefully. Even if all you said were "godan daginn, eg heiti Kirk fra Bandarikjunum" they would love it.
Children
No Data