Forward Leaning Start

In Rushall's paper on sprinting he recommends the forward leaning start.Several years ago I read an article on a forward leaning start,but that was a grab start. I practiced it for awhile and went to a local meet. I was disappointed with my results and a referee I respect told me that I needed to practice it more if I was going to use it in a meet as I was unsteady on the blocks and near a DQ.I gave up on it as a waste of time until I read Rushall's article. I tried it with a track start a couple of times.I felt steady on the blocks and fast off the block,but I didn't feel my jump was as strong. The only pool I use that lets me use the blocks regularly suffered storm damage and is closed at least a month so I haven't had the chance to get times to 15M to see how it compares with my standard start.I have never seen anyone use this start at a meet. Do any Forumites have experience with it and what are your results?
Parents
  • The forward lean start is much easier to accomplish if you have the starting blocks with the side handles. The handles make it much easier to control your forward momentum as you lean forward. In the last start clinic I attended with USA-Swimming coaches from the OTC, they recommended the forward lean or center-balanced...no more sling-shot with a backward lean. With the forward lean start, it was suggested to hold onto the handles and lean out as far as possible, stopping just short of actually falling in...the goal is to get your shoulder ahead of everyone else...a "head start" if you will. Most swimmers hardly ever get the chance to practice off the blocks, but it's super important, in my opinion, especially if you're trying out some new techniques. It's nice that you're using some type of evidence to validate your work to 15M!
  • The forward lean start is much easier to accomplish if you have the starting blocks with the side handles. The handles make it much easier to control your forward momentum as you lean forward. In the last start clinic I attended with USA-Swimming coaches from the OTC, they recommended the forward lean or center-balanced...no more sling-shot with a backward lean. With the forward lean start, it was suggested to hold onto the handles and lean out as far as possible, stopping just short of actually falling in...the goal is to get your shoulder ahead of everyone else...a "head start" if you will. Most swimmers hardly ever get the chance to practice off the blocks, but it's super important, in my opinion, especially if you're trying out some new techniques. It's nice that you're using some type of evidence to validate your work to 15M!
Children
No Data