Swimming as an only source of exercise

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All, I am new to swimming (my swimmer wife and son both tell me my form is horrible, etc) but I absolutely love it and I feel like it is one of the most complete workout routines Ive ever done. I am working to increase my training times, distances etc and I am really feeling the burn in my muscles but its the good kind of burn you get when you know things are heading in the right direction! What I want to know is if I keep swimming will I see some good results in terms of getting slim and trim or will I need to incorporate other dry-land exercises into my routine? I know it wouldn't hurt but if I can get through with doing my entire exercise through swimming I want to go that route. Just curious if anyone has any transformation stories or input on this subject. I look forward to anything you can add. I feel like Ive found a new avenue in my life for staying in shape and I dont know enough other people who swim to talk about it with anyone. Thanks ~J
Parents
  • Great to hear how much you are enjoying swimming! It is a wonderful sport and can definitely contribute to weight loss and strengthening. It's not the only path to getting in shape, however. You'll want to consider the type of workouts you do. You might want to work with a coach to ensure that you are completing the right mix of intensity and stroke technique. As other forumites have said, technique is extremely important to ensure that you avoid any injuries related to poor technique. Swimming can also have the effect of increasing your appetite, so you will need to monitor your diet as well. This might be a good article for you: www.swimspire.com/.../ Enjoy and good luck!
  • Great to hear how much you are enjoying swimming! It is a wonderful sport and can definitely contribute to weight loss and strengthening. It's not the only path to getting in shape, however. You'll want to consider the type of workouts you do. You might want to work with a coach to ensure that you are completing the right mix of intensity and stroke technique. As other forumites have said, technique is extremely important to ensure that you avoid any injuries related to poor technique. Swimming can also have the effect of increasing your appetite, so you will need to monitor your diet as well. This might be a good article for you: www.swimspire.com/.../ Enjoy and good luck!
Children
No Data