Swimming as an only source of exercise

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All, I am new to swimming (my swimmer wife and son both tell me my form is horrible, etc) but I absolutely love it and I feel like it is one of the most complete workout routines Ive ever done. I am working to increase my training times, distances etc and I am really feeling the burn in my muscles but its the good kind of burn you get when you know things are heading in the right direction! What I want to know is if I keep swimming will I see some good results in terms of getting slim and trim or will I need to incorporate other dry-land exercises into my routine? I know it wouldn't hurt but if I can get through with doing my entire exercise through swimming I want to go that route. Just curious if anyone has any transformation stories or input on this subject. I look forward to anything you can add. I feel like Ive found a new avenue in my life for staying in shape and I dont know enough other people who swim to talk about it with anyone. Thanks ~J
Parents
  • I used to be a competitive swimmer and a competitive gymnast (rings & high bar was my thing) when I was a little kid. But then I quit when I went into middle school and was overweight through high school. After my first year in college, I fell victim to the infamous Freshman 15. I started doing masters swim in my second year and lost a pretty good 20 pounds in a couple of months. I also started doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in my third year and am currently active in both masters swim and BJJ. I am in really great shape and really enjoy all my workouts. When I first started masters swim, I can barely swim 1000 m per workout. Now, I usually swim 4000-5000 m per workout with at least 1000 m being butterfly. We all had to start from somewhere when it comes to getting back in shape. It definitely brings great results!
  • I used to be a competitive swimmer and a competitive gymnast (rings & high bar was my thing) when I was a little kid. But then I quit when I went into middle school and was overweight through high school. After my first year in college, I fell victim to the infamous Freshman 15. I started doing masters swim in my second year and lost a pretty good 20 pounds in a couple of months. I also started doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in my third year and am currently active in both masters swim and BJJ. I am in really great shape and really enjoy all my workouts. When I first started masters swim, I can barely swim 1000 m per workout. Now, I usually swim 4000-5000 m per workout with at least 1000 m being butterfly. We all had to start from somewhere when it comes to getting back in shape. It definitely brings great results!
Children
No Data