If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • First, since when are adults not allowed to have hobbies? Hobbies are important and they enrich life. If you have to give up your favorite hobbies for your career, how happy will a person really be? Second, I don't know if my college swimming helped get me a job...at first. I'm sure it didn't hurt. But after college, and several years of work in my chosen field, my plans changed, I had kids, and we moved so I didn't have to work. Now with the kids just getting into school, reality is hitting with how much time they are actually home and the idea of consulting in my field still seems years off. I started swimming again and within months an opportunity to coach a masters team opened up simply because of the friendships I had made swimming as an age grouper. Had I not had these connections, I would not have even known about the position because they never even posted a job opening. They recruited entirely from the people they knew without making an announcement. So, now I work about 5-6 hours a week to support my swimming "hobby". I'm going through coaching certification and am thinking that once all the kids are in school, I might look at opportunities to expand my hours at the same facility teaching swim lessons and such. You never know how life is going to change, so you shouldn't limit opportunities by giving up things you love. As a side note, I minored in music because I thought that was going to be my backup. I thought I could just teach piano lessons if things ever got into a pinch. Well, I now live across the street from my cousin...who was a music major...who is a full time music teacher and teaches piano lessons out of her home. I promised when I moved in I would never compete with her for business. You just never know how your plans will turn out.
  • First, since when are adults not allowed to have hobbies? Hobbies are important and they enrich life. If you have to give up your favorite hobbies for your career, how happy will a person really be? Second, I don't know if my college swimming helped get me a job...at first. I'm sure it didn't hurt. But after college, and several years of work in my chosen field, my plans changed, I had kids, and we moved so I didn't have to work. Now with the kids just getting into school, reality is hitting with how much time they are actually home and the idea of consulting in my field still seems years off. I started swimming again and within months an opportunity to coach a masters team opened up simply because of the friendships I had made swimming as an age grouper. Had I not had these connections, I would not have even known about the position because they never even posted a job opening. They recruited entirely from the people they knew without making an announcement. So, now I work about 5-6 hours a week to support my swimming "hobby". I'm going through coaching certification and am thinking that once all the kids are in school, I might look at opportunities to expand my hours at the same facility teaching swim lessons and such. You never know how life is going to change, so you shouldn't limit opportunities by giving up things you love. As a side note, I minored in music because I thought that was going to be my backup. I thought I could just teach piano lessons if things ever got into a pinch. Well, I now live across the street from my cousin...who was a music major...who is a full time music teacher and teaches piano lessons out of her home. I promised when I moved in I would never compete with her for business. You just never know how your plans will turn out.
Children
No Data