If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • First off, forget the career impacts and think first about the academic impact while in college - study after study show that exercise is a key contributor to academic performance, along with general health and mental well-being. I agree with Allen that having a team gives you an instant social group to help with the (often difficult) transition to life in college. As for career impact for me personally, I absolutely know it can help from a hiring perspective. The guy who was instrumental in hiring me for my first job out of graduate school and who later became (& remains) a key mentor for me told me that my swimming in college while getting good grades in a demanding degree helped set me apart from other candidates. Moreover, as I've worked over the last twenty years, I have found that many of the most successful people, either in the companies I worked or my clients, had some measure of collegiate athletics in their past. But, beyond this, swimming in college is just downright fun.
  • First off, forget the career impacts and think first about the academic impact while in college - study after study show that exercise is a key contributor to academic performance, along with general health and mental well-being. I agree with Allen that having a team gives you an instant social group to help with the (often difficult) transition to life in college. As for career impact for me personally, I absolutely know it can help from a hiring perspective. The guy who was instrumental in hiring me for my first job out of graduate school and who later became (& remains) a key mentor for me told me that my swimming in college while getting good grades in a demanding degree helped set me apart from other candidates. Moreover, as I've worked over the last twenty years, I have found that many of the most successful people, either in the companies I worked or my clients, had some measure of collegiate athletics in their past. But, beyond this, swimming in college is just downright fun.
Children
No Data