Hypoxic (breath control) sets for fitness swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I'm a guy in my early 30s and I swim laps mostly for fitness and to challenge myself, and to also build stamina so I can take surf lessons in a few months. I was wondering how good breath control sets are for improving your fitness and stamina in the water. I do sets where I breath once every 2-4-6-4-2 every 50 yards with up to 30 seconds rest between each rep, and it makes me feel challenged and gets my adrenaline going but it doesn't give me any bad effects afterwards (it just feels like an enjoyable hard swim but nothing excessive). I know some say breath control sets are bad, but I've also read that they are great for building stamina even if you play a different sport, and that they promote the production of hemoglobin and mitochondria. Assuming its a good (or at least not a bad) way to build stamina and challenge yourself, once I'm ready to step it up, what is the most strokes per breath I should max out at during workouts? Also, is it better to breathe once every x number of strokes, or to just breathe x numbers of times per length?
Parents
  • Debating the benefits of "hypoventilation training" is not the point here. I was specifically replying to Steve's assertion that there is no fitness benefit. Googled hyperventilation training and it seems that would be the opposite to limited breathing. You're correct, but I'm talking about hypoventilation, not hyperventilation.
  • Debating the benefits of "hypoventilation training" is not the point here. I was specifically replying to Steve's assertion that there is no fitness benefit. Googled hyperventilation training and it seems that would be the opposite to limited breathing. You're correct, but I'm talking about hypoventilation, not hyperventilation.
Children
No Data