Another flip turn question

Hey all, I recently relearned how to do a flip turn--had been scared of them for about ten years, and finally summoned the courage to work with a coach and overcome my fear. Now I'm doing them pretty happily when I'm on my own or in an uncrowded lane in masters practice (latter doesn't happen often). But when there are more than two people in a lane, I get uneasy and only flip turn if no one is close. When 4-5 people are in my lane, I'm pretty much not doing them, yet I see others easily doing flip turns in the same conditions. I'm uncomfortable doing flip turns if I can't see where lane mates are and whether they're close by, and I don't want to hammer someone (or be hammered) in mid-turn. How do you negotiate this? Or do you? Or do you switch to open turns if there are more than a certain number of people in a lane? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I typically swim in the "beginner" lane (i.e. those of us with less experience and/or speed). Our speed varies a lot. I can lead the lane sometimes... until there are kick sets (though I'm improving the kicking, so there's that). Anyway, it's hard b/c of that to know who's where at any given time so I hardly dare initiate a flip turn. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
  • Also, when you flip and your feet are on the wall (ready to push-off), look upwards first (towards the other wall) and you will have an upside-down view of all the traffic behind you.
  • As above stated. Also , ask your coach to give these instructions to the lane as well. Sometimes it takes a while for new swimmers to get the turn placement in turns to where crashes are few.
  • The typical protocol is to move toward the center of the lane going into the turn, then to the "return" side of the lane as you push off. There's rarely an issue. Perhaps during warm-ups you could ask some of your lane mates for help/advice. If you're doing something incorrect that might lead to a collision, it should be readily apparent to them.
  • Just follow the protocol that smontanaro mentioned. Always move over to the center of the lane and turn on the cross. The only time there's really an issue is if someone is trying to pass you. In that case just make sure you don't box them out. If you're turning in the center there should be room for them to still turn to your left and then you can push off down the middle until they can move ahead of you. Occasionally you might get in someone else's way. We don't have eyes on the back of our heads and I think most other swimmers understand that! Just try to be cognizant of where the other swimmer are in your lane and you will rarely have problems.
  • Thank you all for the suggestions! Food for thought! :)