Starting Over

Shoulder surgery has kept me out of the pool for five months. I now have the go-ahead from my doc to start swimming, but I'm afraid I've lost my sewing mojo. There was a point not long ago when I couldn't wait to get back into the pool, but for some reason it seems like I'm starting all over again. When I had to stop, I was swimming a mile several times a week (for me that's a lot), but now I'm thinking I'll be good to make it one lap. I also had a bad onset of vertigo recently and I'm worried that it might come back when I swim. Though I think it was swimming that kept it from happening for so long. If anyone has been through a long layoff, I'd like to hear how you motivated yourself to get back to the pool.
Parents
  • Yes, last year I was out of the pool for about 6 months as I coached our team until we could hire a professional coach. I was iching to get back into the water for pure solace and to get the weight I'd gained off, but at the same time, I was so down knowing that I'd be back to square one. Once I hit the water again, it was a fantastic feeling, like I hadn't left, but honestly, the next 2 months were really, really tough trying to get back to fighting shape again. At least once a week I was in tears getting out of the pool with frustration. But they were fighting tears. The best thing I did, though, is to put a goal out there to tackle and keep myself focused on not giving up. You're an OW swimmer and it's a great time to get yourself in the pool and ready for a summer race. Get an entry paid for and use it as your target. You can do it, Denise. :) And for the vertigo, avoid doing flips for a while and just use the open turns for a while.
  • Yes, last year I was out of the pool for about 6 months as I coached our team until we could hire a professional coach. I was iching to get back into the water for pure solace and to get the weight I'd gained off, but at the same time, I was so down knowing that I'd be back to square one. Once I hit the water again, it was a fantastic feeling, like I hadn't left, but honestly, the next 2 months were really, really tough trying to get back to fighting shape again. At least once a week I was in tears getting out of the pool with frustration. But they were fighting tears. The best thing I did, though, is to put a goal out there to tackle and keep myself focused on not giving up. You're an OW swimmer and it's a great time to get yourself in the pool and ready for a summer race. Get an entry paid for and use it as your target. You can do it, Denise. :) And for the vertigo, avoid doing flips for a while and just use the open turns for a while.
Children
No Data