Beware no breathers: tragedy at pool

Former Member
Former Member
Parents
  • That is tragic! The pool that I swim at is on the Navy base in Newport, RI where the Naval Academy Prep School, and Officer Candidate School are located. The SEALs recruit from the ranks of those schools so those candidates hoping to get selected are always training for their swim tests at that pool, but during the open/lap swim...which means they're not being supervised by SEAL instructors. The swim test includes an underwater swim (not sure how far) so obviously they want to train on that (I think they have to do it with the feet tied, and their hands tied behind their back). But years ago the lifeguards and pool management got so aggravated with their lengthy underwater swims that large signs had to be put up stating that it is strictly forbidden. Dan
  • That is tragic! The pool that I swim at is on the Navy base in Newport, RI where the Naval Academy Prep School, and Officer Candidate School are located. The SEALs recruit from the ranks of those schools so those candidates hoping to get selected are always training for their swim tests at that pool, but during the open/lap swim...which means they're not being supervised by SEAL instructors. The swim test includes an underwater swim (not sure how far) so obviously they want to train on that (I think they have to do it with the feet tied, and their hands tied behind their back). But years ago the lifeguards and pool management got so aggravated with their lengthy underwater swims that large signs had to be put up stating that it is strictly forbidden. Dan
Children
No Data