Choosing a focus distance or stroke / Choosing a specialty

So many swimmers classify themselves as a "sprinter", "breaststroker", "middle distance", "IMer", etc. Since training can affect the outcome, how can you tell if your talent matches what you're training? To clarify with an example: How can you tell if you're really meant to be a distance swimmer vs. you like distance and you've trained yourself into it? There's definitely something to be said for just doing what you like and going with it. Or to just take an all around approach similar to what is recommended for age groupers. But what if you want to pick something to really throw your focus into? Is there an objective way to decide what distance a person should focus on or what stroke a person should focus on? If you have a specialty, how did you decide?
Parents
  • You may notice that in practice and in meets, certain strokes and distances come easier to you than others or that you tend to rank higher in those events relative to how you do in other events. Or when you do the stroke or event you have been able to attain a feeling of flow. There may also be some correlation between body type and best stroke/distance, but I'll let the experts weigh in. I've heard one coach say that shorter, stockier people tend to do better in distance *** and IM, for example. I would try a lot of different events and see which ones you enjoy the most. I think it is fun and adds some nice variety to pick a stroke and distance that's completely different from what you usually swim and try to improve in it, regardless of how you compare with others. When I swim meets, I'll do a familiar event but also try to do something completely different. But I'm not an elite swimmer who is aiming for national records -- just trying to stay in shape, enjoy swimming, and get a little faster as I age.
  • You may notice that in practice and in meets, certain strokes and distances come easier to you than others or that you tend to rank higher in those events relative to how you do in other events. Or when you do the stroke or event you have been able to attain a feeling of flow. There may also be some correlation between body type and best stroke/distance, but I'll let the experts weigh in. I've heard one coach say that shorter, stockier people tend to do better in distance *** and IM, for example. I would try a lot of different events and see which ones you enjoy the most. I think it is fun and adds some nice variety to pick a stroke and distance that's completely different from what you usually swim and try to improve in it, regardless of how you compare with others. When I swim meets, I'll do a familiar event but also try to do something completely different. But I'm not an elite swimmer who is aiming for national records -- just trying to stay in shape, enjoy swimming, and get a little faster as I age.
Children
No Data