Fly rythm

Thanks for the recent thread re 12 & under who can't get rythm of fly. As a 51 & under in similar boat, it was helpful, as was the Swimmer magazine article this month. So my excellent masters coach tells me I need more upper body undulation. The Nemo drill and Mary T drill (which I do in Louisville's Mary T pool BTW) are helping, but what suggestions do you have for a swim-thought while doing actual stroke? I tried today to focus on relaxing and on driving my hands forward and downward, which helped, I think. But the undulation I feel doing the stroke is much much less than what I get, for example, after I pull my arms through and leave them at my side when doing the Mary T drill. I'll also try uploading some video after the first of the year. Thanks!
Parents
  • (Side note, I lived in Louisville back in the day and loved doing meets at Mary T!) For the downward portion of the body undulation, focus on pressing your chest towards the bottom of the pool during the recovery, and try to tuck your chin in towards your chest at the same time--not so much that your chin is touching your chest and taking your head out of alignment, but enough so that your head is driving your body. While you're doing that, also try to bend at the waist and push your hips up to the surface.
  • (Side note, I lived in Louisville back in the day and loved doing meets at Mary T!) For the downward portion of the body undulation, focus on pressing your chest towards the bottom of the pool during the recovery, and try to tuck your chin in towards your chest at the same time--not so much that your chin is touching your chest and taking your head out of alignment, but enough so that your head is driving your body. While you're doing that, also try to bend at the waist and push your hips up to the surface.
Children
No Data