calf cramps

Does anyone get calf cramps? Mine seem to happen if I push off the wall to hard...it doesn't happen all the time but the problem is I never know when it is going to happen, not good for meets. I realize I'm not 20 anymore but I just though there might be something I can try. I try to stay hydrated, but I don't bring anything to drink when I workout and I swim between 2000-3000 yds. a day. I have tried magnesium, potassium and other supplements. Mind you it is getting better but it still happens. I can't swim a fly more than 15-20 yds. before it happens. Sometimes (not often) it hurts so bad I have to stop swimming and stretch my leg in the water. I have not seen a physician yet and I probably won't... Any help would be appreciated sorry just noticed that there were several posts on this subject...am reading them all.
Parents
  • I get them also--and I notice that if I run before I swim, I tend to have more problems w/ them than otherwise. Not sure why that is--when I'm on a long open water swim and I feel a cramp coming on, I figure it's time for a feed or drink (and if I'm going longer than, say, 2500-3000 yards, I want a sports drink, though normally I don't care for them). I've tolerated the Glukos Energy powder okay and it seems to help w/ cramps, but like the OP, I don't have any guarantees that stuff will work.
  • I get them also--and I notice that if I run before I swim, I tend to have more problems w/ them than otherwise. Not sure why that is--when I'm on a long open water swim and I feel a cramp coming on, I figure it's time for a feed or drink (and if I'm going longer than, say, 2500-3000 yards, I want a sports drink, though normally I don't care for them). I've tolerated the Glukos Energy powder okay and it seems to help w/ cramps, but like the OP, I don't have any guarantees that stuff will work.
Children
No Data