Bobble head during free style stroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hello experts This is for my son who has been swimming for couple of years. Recently, I have noticed that his head bobbles while strokes as well as breath in free style.. Any pointers for this cause would greatly help.. I do have a video.. do not know if I could post it here.. Thanks for your help Gwimm
Parents
  • Both of you make valid points that should help, no question. However, go back and look at the video again. Specifically the still shot you see before the video begins. In the still shot I see the swimmer taking a breath with most of his head out of the water. Both goggles are out of the water as is his entire mouth. Now watch the video and watch his head. He essentially ducks his entire head below the surface. So his head is moving up and down 6 to 8 inches on each cycle. Thus the bobble. He needs to begin to be aware of where his head is when he takes a breath. That is difficult for such a young child. It takes time to develop a kinesthetic sense of where your body parts are in space. The ideal head position of course is with one goggle above the surface during the breath and the mouth essentially below the surface and in the trough created by the head and nose as a swimmer turns his head to breathe.
  • Both of you make valid points that should help, no question. However, go back and look at the video again. Specifically the still shot you see before the video begins. In the still shot I see the swimmer taking a breath with most of his head out of the water. Both goggles are out of the water as is his entire mouth. Now watch the video and watch his head. He essentially ducks his entire head below the surface. So his head is moving up and down 6 to 8 inches on each cycle. Thus the bobble. He needs to begin to be aware of where his head is when he takes a breath. That is difficult for such a young child. It takes time to develop a kinesthetic sense of where your body parts are in space. The ideal head position of course is with one goggle above the surface during the breath and the mouth essentially below the surface and in the trough created by the head and nose as a swimmer turns his head to breathe.
Children
No Data