Shoulder Pain in the water

I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it. I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.) Thanks!
Parents
  • I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it. I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.) Thanks! Strongly suggest maintaining balance. Pecs (dumbbell presses) need to be balanced with lats (pulldown machine or reverse dumbell flys). Triceps with biceps, abductors with adductors. Unbalanced chest and back can lead to shoulder issues. Also don't forget band work to strengthen rotator cuff. Hope this helps. Bill
  • I've had some shoulder problems for many years now, took a few years off from swimming, but am starting to get back into it. I've been told by trainers in the past that I just need to strengthen my upper back. I've read articles denouncing the use of bands as it has minimal impact. Does anyone here have a dryland regiment they could suggest for upper back/shoulder strengthening? (I don't really have access to gym machinery, but do have bands, and access to dumbells from 5-50 lbs.) Thanks! Strongly suggest maintaining balance. Pecs (dumbbell presses) need to be balanced with lats (pulldown machine or reverse dumbell flys). Triceps with biceps, abductors with adductors. Unbalanced chest and back can lead to shoulder issues. Also don't forget band work to strengthen rotator cuff. Hope this helps. Bill
Children
No Data