Several Questions

Former Member
Former Member
There is a new swim coach at my granddaughter's high school. Like so many other schools, she isn't a coach, she is a teacher--has no real swim experience, but is a fan. Actually looks for and watches swimming on TV. SHE IS TRYING VERY HARD, doing a pretty good job managing the team and is learning quickly. She has the potential to be GOOD. She is open to suggestions and help. We want to support her in anyway possible. She gets workouts off the web--that kinda scares me. So, I want to give her a book on swimming for Christmas that might help her. Something on technique, drills maybe. Suggestions? What about a swimming book you have read for enjoyment? She is learning about technique by watching YouTube vids. Suggestions? Because she knows she doesn't know technique she has asked my daughter and me to look at a couple of swimmers. (No tryouts for team. If you want to be on the team, you are) Most were easy to get started with--dropped elbow, low hips, breaststroke sweep too wide, etc. THEN, a young man, short statue, football player who wants to cross train, weight lifter. HE CAN'T FLOAT and doesn't know how to swim any stroke. To top it off he has had shoulder surgery and doesn't have full range of motion in right shoulder (has been cleared by doc to swim) He does a funky out to the side windmill freestyle recovery. We tried to get his elbow up but the best he could do was something that kinda looked like a fingertip drag drill--his fingers were in the water up to his hands. Then we thought backstroke--he sinks. Bless his heart he pulls, sinks, pulls, sinks all while kicking furiously. He also lacks flexibility. I can't even describe his dolphin kick. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    That is a great idea, to give the coach a book. I have heard that Sheila Taormina's books are good. I haven't read them myself yet. Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes: Master the Freestyle Technique Used by the World's Fastest Swimmers (Swim Speed Series) By Sheila Taormina Swim Speed Strokes for Swimmers and Triathletes: Master Freestyle, Butterfly, Breaststroke and Backstroke for Your Fastest Swimming (Swim Speed Series) By Sheila Taormina
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    That is a great idea, to give the coach a book. I have heard that Sheila Taormina's books are good. I haven't read them myself yet. Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes: Master the Freestyle Technique Used by the World's Fastest Swimmers (Swim Speed Series) By Sheila Taormina Swim Speed Strokes for Swimmers and Triathletes: Master Freestyle, Butterfly, Breaststroke and Backstroke for Your Fastest Swimming (Swim Speed Series) By Sheila Taormina
Children
No Data