Need advice to become a GOOD swimmer

Former Member
Former Member
Let me give you a quick insight on my story. I was about 290 lbs 2 years ago. I dropped 90 but i plan to go down to 160 and no i dont have loose skin. I joined swimming in 10th grade and started off swimming a 1:05 50 free. By the end of the season i swam a 37 second 50 free. I now swim at 35 seconds by jr year. I wasn't put into this sport by my parents at a young age like most swimmers. I joined it, I love it, and I want to get better. While swimming my legs just don't want to move. I can swim a 34 second 50 pull and a 54 second 50 kick. I force myself to kick but it doesn't help. I want to get down to a realistic time of at least 24 seconds by next year. Do you think losing the 40 lbs and also i will be adding on at least 12 lbs of muscle will help. How do i drop time. Does the weight actually make a barrier for me to do so, I see people bigger than me swimming under 30. I'm motivated, I'll be lifting weights and swimming all off season. Give me your input. Thanks.
Parents
  • Losing weight may help a little, but the real solution is to improve your technique. There are plenty of people heavier than you who can swim much faster, so obviously the weight isn't the problem. Find a good coach or instructor who can help you improve your technique and you will improve. Congrats on your weight loss so far. That alone is quite impressive!
  • Losing weight may help a little, but the real solution is to improve your technique. There are plenty of people heavier than you who can swim much faster, so obviously the weight isn't the problem. Find a good coach or instructor who can help you improve your technique and you will improve. Congrats on your weight loss so far. That alone is quite impressive!
Children
No Data