How to tell if swim aids help?

There is a thread on benefits of using snorkels in swim training. I have seen debates in the past on effectiveness of various other swim aids - fins, pull buoys, tempo trainers, etc. The list of available gear is long. My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? If my times improve it may be due to other factors such as more training sessions per week, better designed sets (such as specific sets instead of "garbage yards"). Again a long list of possible factors. Love to hear some thoughts on how you determine if something is helping you. Can it be objectively determined with some reasonable method that does not require tons of measurements and equipment? Is it good enough that you feel subjectively that it helps, and that provides more motivation to work a little harder? I don't discount that factor. Sometimes if you believe it helps then it helps. Wondering how everyone else approaches this.
Parents
  • In my younger years I was a competitive swimmer (1962-67). Got married raised a family and after over 50 years I'm back at swimming again. Let me tell you the training methods today are so much more advanced (I had to get rid of some old training habits). The one swim aid I use all the time when I am kicking is the "Finis Freestyle Snorkel" I kick 1 mile every day in addition to my regular swimming routine. The Snorkel has helped me with my head position (something that was not stressed much in the old days) so much that my correct head position now comes naturally when I am not using the snorkel. If you don't have the correct head position when your using the snorkel you will wind up chocking on water intake. The other aid I use all the time (I never take it off except for competition) is the ultimate drag suite. These two aids have help me considerably. When I started swimming again my 50 Yd. freestyle time was around 40 sec. that was in may of 2014. Today I am at 32 sec. not real good but an improvement. I really believe these aids have helped me get rid of some old habits.
  • In my younger years I was a competitive swimmer (1962-67). Got married raised a family and after over 50 years I'm back at swimming again. Let me tell you the training methods today are so much more advanced (I had to get rid of some old training habits). The one swim aid I use all the time when I am kicking is the "Finis Freestyle Snorkel" I kick 1 mile every day in addition to my regular swimming routine. The Snorkel has helped me with my head position (something that was not stressed much in the old days) so much that my correct head position now comes naturally when I am not using the snorkel. If you don't have the correct head position when your using the snorkel you will wind up chocking on water intake. The other aid I use all the time (I never take it off except for competition) is the ultimate drag suite. These two aids have help me considerably. When I started swimming again my 50 Yd. freestyle time was around 40 sec. that was in may of 2014. Today I am at 32 sec. not real good but an improvement. I really believe these aids have helped me get rid of some old habits.
Children
No Data