How to tell if swim aids help?

There is a thread on benefits of using snorkels in swim training. I have seen debates in the past on effectiveness of various other swim aids - fins, pull buoys, tempo trainers, etc. The list of available gear is long. My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? If my times improve it may be due to other factors such as more training sessions per week, better designed sets (such as specific sets instead of "garbage yards"). Again a long list of possible factors. Love to hear some thoughts on how you determine if something is helping you. Can it be objectively determined with some reasonable method that does not require tons of measurements and equipment? Is it good enough that you feel subjectively that it helps, and that provides more motivation to work a little harder? I don't discount that factor. Sometimes if you believe it helps then it helps. Wondering how everyone else approaches this.
Parents
  • There is a thread on benefits of using snorkels in swim training. I have seen debates in the past on effectiveness of various other swim aids - fins, pull buoys, tempo trainers, etc. The list of available gear is long. My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? If my times improve it may be due to other factors such as more training sessions per week, better designed sets (such as specific sets instead of "garbage yards"). Again a long list of possible factors. Love to hear some thoughts on how you determine if something is helping you. Can it be objectively determined with some reasonable method that does not require tons of measurements and equipment? Is it good enough that you feel subjectively that it helps, and that provides more motivation to work a little harder? I don't discount that factor. Sometimes if you believe it helps then it helps. Wondering how everyone else approaches this. There's a great and foolproof way to measure the efficacy of your training with or without equipment:SWIM IN MEETS. This is after all the only true yardstick. So if after a reasonable period of time your meet speed increases than the training worked. If not you have fallen into the "toy trap" which is where your technique with the various pieces of equipment improves but the sum of the parts is not equal to the sum of the whole. Pulling, kicking, snorkel swimming are all great but they are means to an end and if your meet speed has not improved than you need to discuss with your coach a better training regime.
  • There is a thread on benefits of using snorkels in swim training. I have seen debates in the past on effectiveness of various other swim aids - fins, pull buoys, tempo trainers, etc. The list of available gear is long. My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? If my times improve it may be due to other factors such as more training sessions per week, better designed sets (such as specific sets instead of "garbage yards"). Again a long list of possible factors. Love to hear some thoughts on how you determine if something is helping you. Can it be objectively determined with some reasonable method that does not require tons of measurements and equipment? Is it good enough that you feel subjectively that it helps, and that provides more motivation to work a little harder? I don't discount that factor. Sometimes if you believe it helps then it helps. Wondering how everyone else approaches this. There's a great and foolproof way to measure the efficacy of your training with or without equipment:SWIM IN MEETS. This is after all the only true yardstick. So if after a reasonable period of time your meet speed increases than the training worked. If not you have fallen into the "toy trap" which is where your technique with the various pieces of equipment improves but the sum of the parts is not equal to the sum of the whole. Pulling, kicking, snorkel swimming are all great but they are means to an end and if your meet speed has not improved than you need to discuss with your coach a better training regime.
Children
No Data