Novice berasstroker

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys, I have some problems with my breaststroke. I realised that when i do the in sweep my shoulders will go out of water unlike other swimmers, at least half the back is out of the water and if you at them from the front their chests are also way above the water when they take a breath. For myself at most the shoulders and head out of water, is it due to bad form or I really need to swim fast to send my upper body out of the water? And i cannot glide far and long enough before i do the in sweep, do i need alot of practice to achieve a long glide?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    If you can post a video that would help us to know what you could do differently. If you are able to get your face high enough out of the water to breath with out bending your neck,then you are high enough. Some breaststrokers are able to generate thrust with their undulation,but for many, the up and down motion is just at the expense of forward motion. How long you glide is a function of how strong your kick is and how good your streamlining is.. If you don't have a good kick you need to compensate for that by a more rapid tempo, if you have a good kick you can "ride the glide",providing you have good streamlining. Video would definitely help. I found myself trying visualise your stroke to try and offer some advice - the problem being that if you could describe it that easily you probably wouldn't need help!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    If you can post a video that would help us to know what you could do differently. If you are able to get your face high enough out of the water to breath with out bending your neck,then you are high enough. Some breaststrokers are able to generate thrust with their undulation,but for many, the up and down motion is just at the expense of forward motion. How long you glide is a function of how strong your kick is and how good your streamlining is.. If you don't have a good kick you need to compensate for that by a more rapid tempo, if you have a good kick you can "ride the glide",providing you have good streamlining. Video would definitely help. I found myself trying visualise your stroke to try and offer some advice - the problem being that if you could describe it that easily you probably wouldn't need help!
Children
No Data