The power of a thumb???

I've been a swimmer since the 80s for fitness, open water/triathlons kind of swimming...so mostly I only swim crawl stroke. Recently, I occasionally notice that as I swim I will unconsciously allow my thumb to stick out on my right hand. Then I have to consciously hold it parallel to my forefinger. Not 'tense', but just keep it where it's supposed to be. I never notice it happening on my left hand. But then when I hold it in, I definitely notice more resistance on the pull with my right arm. So, I'm just wondering...can anyone say how much...like what percentage of your pull is reliant on a single finger/thumb? Going unnoticed, it seems like this condition would cause me to swim in a big circle in open water. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Dan
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    My guess would be when you are paying attention to your thumb you are also paying attention to the rest of the pull mechanics and therefore catch more water.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    My guess would be when you are paying attention to your thumb you are also paying attention to the rest of the pull mechanics and therefore catch more water.
Children
No Data