Question about breaststroke pull

How wide should breaststroke pull go? I hear conflicting advice out there. I'm sure it varies by person, but any thoughts on how to find a technique that would work for me? For what it is worth, I have a stronger kick than pull.
  • There is no one size fits all answer for this,as it depends on many factors,but there are some guidelines. A few years ago there were several elite breaststrokers with wide pulls,but not so much now. The wider you go,up to an elbow angle of about 135-150 degrees,the more potential power in the pull,but the more resistance you encounter in moving from insweep to recovery and the greater chance of "dead spots". Also,starting the catch at "11 and 1" as is usually taught,will make the pull stronger,but causes a dead spot from the separation of the hands to the beginning of propulsion. Since having a velocity analysis of my stroke at the 2010 SCY Nats in Atlanta I have been trying to start the pull immediately from the streamline position without separation for the catch. I try to get into a position very like EVF from free,but with the hands a little outside of the elbows forming about a 100-110 degree angle.This seems best for me,but YMMV. I hope this helps.