Proposed event sanction fee

This is probably a subject that could be over on the Convention thread but since more people are likely to see it here and hopefully engage in some discussion I'll go ahead and post (and see if i get chastised by the moderator!) If you are out of the loop on convention topics this one is pretty important and will have an impact most likely on just about everyone who swims in pool and/or open water events. Here is a quick overview of the proposal but be sure to click on this link and read through carefully: www.usms.org/.../eventsanctionfeeproposal.pdf TASK FORCE CREATED TO DEVELOP A NEW SOLUTION A task force was constituted at the 2014 convention with representation from open water, pool swimmers, LMSCs, Finance Committee and the National Office. Their charge was to study the issue of event sanction fees and bring forward a recommendation that would provide opportunity for open water growth without taking dollars from existing programs. The task force looked at all USMS sanctioned events concluding the cost of insurance and event risk is not isolated to only open water events. Sanctioned pool events benefit from USMS insurance and other event costs and should be contributing to help offset USMS insurance costs just like open water events, clubs and workout groups. Therefore, the task force recommended an event sanction fee model that adjusts the fee for open water events and adds a fee for pool events. Some thoughts: - With regard to OW, we have already seen where events in our area have chosen to NOT use the USMS sanction because they can obtain 3rd party insurance at a lot lower cost. Is having the USMS affiliation important/necessary to run a successful event? - Sanction fees are inconsistent in the USMS world but standard in USA Swimming. The difference is in USA sanction fee of $50 goes to the local LSC (USA swims version of masters LMSC) not the national office which is what USMS is proposing (and at a cost of $70), there is also a splash fee that is charged in USA swimming of $6 which again goes to the LSC. Both organizations charge a membership fee, for USA swimming the LSC gets to keep $12 of that fee the rest goes to the national office. Point being, I would support a local sanction fee not a national one. Lot's more to all of this...as a meet host I look at things very different than a person who is a club member and competes but not involved with the financial side of the business. My concern is any increase in cost will go almost 100% to participants given the very low return on hosting meets (other than things like nationals or select invites)...just for a point of reference in AZ 2 of the largest facilities now charge about $2000-$2500 per day in pool rental.
Parents
  • Interesting HOD discussion to say the least, I'm left with a few thoughts: - The Stephenson talking points on the wealthy LMSCs sitting on their money was in full swing - A great point made that LMSCs that are now charging a sanction fee like SPMS ($50) and have those $$$ worked into their budgets would have to either tack on the new national sanction fee of $70 for a total of $120 (and pretty much ensuring higher entry fees from meet hosts) or reduce/eliminate that revenue stream - Great points on the lack of incentive for OW events to sanction with usms, here's the deal OW just like triathlon doesn't want or need us....if we want a (late) piece of those pies we better come to them either $$$ vs send them a bill IMHO if OW is important to USMS (and only 25% say it is) do what USA swim does for key events, offer a stipend to help cover some or all of the expenses to prospective hosts and see if they can make it work. I'm also curious why an event host couldn't attempt to negotiate a 3rd party insurance policy for the event
  • Interesting HOD discussion to say the least, I'm left with a few thoughts: - The Stephenson talking points on the wealthy LMSCs sitting on their money was in full swing - A great point made that LMSCs that are now charging a sanction fee like SPMS ($50) and have those $$$ worked into their budgets would have to either tack on the new national sanction fee of $70 for a total of $120 (and pretty much ensuring higher entry fees from meet hosts) or reduce/eliminate that revenue stream - Great points on the lack of incentive for OW events to sanction with usms, here's the deal OW just like triathlon doesn't want or need us....if we want a (late) piece of those pies we better come to them either $$$ vs send them a bill IMHO if OW is important to USMS (and only 25% say it is) do what USA swim does for key events, offer a stipend to help cover some or all of the expenses to prospective hosts and see if they can make it work. I'm also curious why an event host couldn't attempt to negotiate a 3rd party insurance policy for the event
Children
No Data