Doping

So just wondered, have any of you trained with someone you seriously thought was doping? I train with someone who about 3-4 weeks ago, was of similar speed to myself, if not a bit slower on some things. This person is training for what I think is called an Ultraman - and they put in serious distance in all three disciplines every week. So, this person is already quite buff, not an ounce of fat on him/her, and I could tell s/he was just dragging, from all the excessive training s/he's been doing, when suddenly out of no where s/he's like 10 seconds faster in 100 repeats. S/he is super motivated, I'll grant him/her that, but in my experience that kind of improvement doesn't happen overnight like it has here. Not only that but s/he is now able to go like 7000, and maintain his/her tempo/speed/energy level to the end, when s/he was going only about 2500 in an average workout before. Thoughts?
  • That can also be a response in the "swim brief/genitals" thread Reading Rich's article, I think we may have found a solution to the giant testicle problem in that thread. :-)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I find it incredible that masters athletes would dope. I mean, I'm kind of curious to know what it might feel like, but to win? Jeesh. As we say in parts of the UK "there's nowt queerer than folk". Theres always someone curious enough, brave (stupid) enough to give it a go. I've seen several candidates with Ben Johnson bloodshot eyes, start and finish races, putting in amazing masters performances in the pool that were never drug tested! hopefully testing will become more commonplace T
  • OK, I'm sorta convinced. But we're going to drop it now, because this person is my friend, and I've got to figure out how to get her to come clean. thanks for all your comments, everyone.:)
  • Former Member
    if we are talking meters - that is absolutely crazy. i do a 54 for a shave/taper 100 LCM and going under 1:10 in LCM is enough effort that i couldn't do more than 2 on 1:20 unless i tapered for that set. if we are talking short course - its more possible but still a long shot. you will never be able to tell unless you flat out ask them. my bet is, that if nothing major was added (or subtracted) from the equation then they are on something- but you never know. but if they are it might be for medical reasons.
  • I believe the world record for women (40-44) 1500 is 17:49.26 which is 1:11.26 per 100 meters - ??:) It was until recently. Kirsten Cameron's new improved W40-44 1500m records - 17:31.51 (LCM) and 17:01.66 (SCM)
  • Only if the drag suit had a diving brick inside it... That can also be a response in the "swim brief/genitals" thread
  • Former Member
    I find it incredible that masters athletes would dope. I mean, I'm kind of curious to know what it might feel like, but to win? Jeesh.
  • I find it incredible that masters athletes would dope. I mean, I'm kind of curious to know what it might feel like, but to win? Jeesh. I had to take an oral steroid for bronchitis a couple of year back. :roids: Felt like superwoman in the pool. :weightlifter: I can definitely see how people can get lured into it. Especially if there is money on the line. Triathlons can come with cash prizes.
  • Her performance is suspect, but before you jump to conclusions, it's important to know more about her athletic and training history. Going from 2,500 a day to 7k would be a shock to my system.
  • The recent improvements you've pointed out are definitely suspicious. The following link is a fascinating article from Outside magazine from several years ago where a reporter tries a wide range of PED's. www.outsideonline.com/.../Drug-Test.html Thanks Rich, interesting article.