Doping

So just wondered, have any of you trained with someone you seriously thought was doping? I train with someone who about 3-4 weeks ago, was of similar speed to myself, if not a bit slower on some things. This person is training for what I think is called an Ultraman - and they put in serious distance in all three disciplines every week. So, this person is already quite buff, not an ounce of fat on him/her, and I could tell s/he was just dragging, from all the excessive training s/he's been doing, when suddenly out of no where s/he's like 10 seconds faster in 100 repeats. S/he is super motivated, I'll grant him/her that, but in my experience that kind of improvement doesn't happen overnight like it has here. Not only that but s/he is now able to go like 7000, and maintain his/her tempo/speed/energy level to the end, when s/he was going only about 2500 in an average workout before. Thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Unfortunately, there is no certain way to know whether someone is doping or not... Increase of endurance may also happen if s/he has changed her/his eating and sleeping habits, less stress at work/home, more efficient training. Just a couple of months ago I could barely finish 1 lap in SCM, being totally winded, but after changing my eating habits, with some more fitness and less smoking (1 pack per 2 days, instead of a pack a day. I am on my way to quit smoking) I can now swim without any problem almost 1,5 miles per training session. However, when I've made my research for food supplements before totally denying them, I went through tons of materials, and I've read in some articles and blogs that one way to identify whether an athlete is doping or not (can't assure you 100% that it is viable) is to monitor his behavior... As most of banned substances affect athlete's behavior, attitude and temper. They become more anxious, more aggressive and easily irritated. Those who are improving without application of banned substances enjoy their achievement more like kids. Therefore if you knew that person before and if you can determine whether such behavioral changes occurred, perhaps this could help you to make some preliminary formal conclusions. However, again there is no guarantee till you obtain solid proof on whether s/he doped or not.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Unfortunately, there is no certain way to know whether someone is doping or not... Increase of endurance may also happen if s/he has changed her/his eating and sleeping habits, less stress at work/home, more efficient training. Just a couple of months ago I could barely finish 1 lap in SCM, being totally winded, but after changing my eating habits, with some more fitness and less smoking (1 pack per 2 days, instead of a pack a day. I am on my way to quit smoking) I can now swim without any problem almost 1,5 miles per training session. However, when I've made my research for food supplements before totally denying them, I went through tons of materials, and I've read in some articles and blogs that one way to identify whether an athlete is doping or not (can't assure you 100% that it is viable) is to monitor his behavior... As most of banned substances affect athlete's behavior, attitude and temper. They become more anxious, more aggressive and easily irritated. Those who are improving without application of banned substances enjoy their achievement more like kids. Therefore if you knew that person before and if you can determine whether such behavioral changes occurred, perhaps this could help you to make some preliminary formal conclusions. However, again there is no guarantee till you obtain solid proof on whether s/he doped or not.
Children
No Data