For you outdoor pool swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I'm curious as to your preference, so I decided to start a poll. I've been swimming outdoors all summer. It's been brutally hot, with high humidity most of the summer, which I notice, causes more fatigue and cramping, despite my intake of bananas, lots of water, etc. I also have allergies. There are the usual outdoor pool issues, but aside from that, if you had a choice to swim in a 25 yard pool or swim indoors in a more temperature controlled environment, what would you prefer and why?
Parents
  • Yes, there is one public pool in So Cal with a retractable roof. There is a Masters team that works out of that pool, but its a very closed group. They are only a workout group. They do not compete in swim meets, or triathlons etc. Regarding swimming in outdoor pools during summer months. This may sound slightly crazy, but on those mini heatwaves we just had, I chose to utilize the indoor pools in the area to stay out of the sun. Mostly for two reasons: 1) the sun was heating up the outdoor pools to uncomfortable levels for regular outdoor pool lap swimmers; and 2) to stay out of the UV rays when they are at their worst. I am fortunate to be able to swim indoors, or outdoors, year round. Pools closed for Labor Day, lucky me I can swim in the bay. The local bay is 74 at the moment. Even non-regular swimmers could tolerate that temperature. Have a nice Labor Day weekend everyone.
  • Yes, there is one public pool in So Cal with a retractable roof. There is a Masters team that works out of that pool, but its a very closed group. They are only a workout group. They do not compete in swim meets, or triathlons etc. Regarding swimming in outdoor pools during summer months. This may sound slightly crazy, but on those mini heatwaves we just had, I chose to utilize the indoor pools in the area to stay out of the sun. Mostly for two reasons: 1) the sun was heating up the outdoor pools to uncomfortable levels for regular outdoor pool lap swimmers; and 2) to stay out of the UV rays when they are at their worst. I am fortunate to be able to swim indoors, or outdoors, year round. Pools closed for Labor Day, lucky me I can swim in the bay. The local bay is 74 at the moment. Even non-regular swimmers could tolerate that temperature. Have a nice Labor Day weekend everyone.
Children
No Data