Video analysis: Beginner Butterfly

Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view you need to gradually develop your core strength and start your kick from your core, not from your knees. this is more than just a matter of technique - unless you are a powerlifter most likely your core muscles are almost completely atrophied - it will take you probably a year to build up your core power to the point where ( assuming you have got your technique at that point ) you will actually be *flying* make sure you practice at least twice a week ( every other day is optimal ) and make sure you can feel your core muscle after each workout, but not to the point of risking injury, and not so much that they're still sore by the next workout. watch this video of Ryan Lochte: www.youtube.com/watch notice the amount of action going on in his core. you will not be able to do this for a while, but your goal should be to eventually be able to do this.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view you need to gradually develop your core strength and start your kick from your core, not from your knees. this is more than just a matter of technique - unless you are a powerlifter most likely your core muscles are almost completely atrophied - it will take you probably a year to build up your core power to the point where ( assuming you have got your technique at that point ) you will actually be *flying* make sure you practice at least twice a week ( every other day is optimal ) and make sure you can feel your core muscle after each workout, but not to the point of risking injury, and not so much that they're still sore by the next workout. watch this video of Ryan Lochte: www.youtube.com/watch notice the amount of action going on in his core. you will not be able to do this for a while, but your goal should be to eventually be able to do this.
Children
No Data